Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Goodbye 2000s

We're just a day away from the end of another decade. I was all of 9 years old when the new millennium came around and now as I turn 20 soon, I look back and realize that I will be tagged as the 2000s kid. My entire teenage was spent in the first decade of the new millennium. A lot has happened in the past ten years and looking back, I wonder what will the 2000s be most remembered for.

The world welcomed the new millennium with lots of panache and open arms. Almost no one knew what lay ahead of 31st December 1999. Who knew 9/11 in 2001 would make aviation and the US targets of the worlds biggest terrorist groups. No one thought we would be fighting a war in retaliation which wouldn't end even at the turn of the century. The best of the Wall Street didn't know Enron would default two years later in 2001, stirring a series of modifications in Accounting and Reporting standards. Lots of other significant events took place these past 10 years, but we all know what happened and the video sums it up pretty well.

What lies ahead for my generation is very intriguing . Will there be jobs for us when we graduate? Will we be safe when we travel across the world, or will political differences create barriers that make tourism risky business? Will we be able to afford healthcare regardless of which income bracket we fall in? Will we have any savings after all the taxes and insurance premiums we will pay? Most importantly, will we end up following our passions or will the need for bread and butter impede upon our pursuit of happiness?

I've had many ups and downs these past 10 years. I graduated from high school despite all my efforts to freeze time and stay there forever. I've moved to another country and met some amazing people. I've traveled across the Europe, Asia and North America in an effort to pursue my passion for seeing new places and learning about new cultures. I'm excited to bid farewell to the 2000s which take with it many memories of high school friends and my first couple of college years. They've been great and I've learnt a lot. I've grown up. The turn of the decade marks the end of my teenage. Most people say the fun stops here. I say, it's only started.

No comments:

Post a Comment