Sunday, April 11, 2010

Mid-Terms Side Effects!

There's always that one week each semester when I find myself fighting the frustrations that college occasionally brings. This also gets aggravated when I get sick and have 3 exams, 5 quizzes and 1 paper to submit all in a week. Midterms at this time of the year are no fun. It would have been nice if I could get done with weeks like these and move on as if all was well. However, over the past couple of semesters I've noticed an interesting pattern, which I chose to call - midterm side effects.

So usually I know ahead of time that week B will be pretty bad with lots of exams and final submissions. So I start working on things during week A. With the load of work I usually have, I often prioritize to complete all that is due during week B and side line week C for the time being. So then comes week B which is coupled with sleepless nights and Red Bull overdoses (figuratively). Sometimes I skip a couple of classes in week B so I can prepare well for exams in the others. When week B comes to an end on Friday, the feeling of accomplishment is so exciting that the weekend after week B becomes highly unproductive. Now that would have been fine except, week C, although not midterm week, also has lots of papers and homework due. Since I skipped one classes in week B, I end up knowing little on those assignments and I feel lost in class. So essentially week C ( and sometimes D) is spent playing catch-up in all my classes that didn't have an exam during week B and completing all the work I had sidelined since week A.

So the saga continues. Although subtle, there are side-effects to midterms.

No comments:

Post a Comment